Saturday, September 20, 2008

The "SO" syndrome

When I was young (and by that I refer to my school time), I always considered anyone who started a sentence with a "placeholder for thought" as a non-voluble person. My placeholders for thought included hmmm, umm, well, etc. And I always refrained from using those (if that's not too difficult to fathom ;-) ).
Ok. School time over and enter office space or the "corporate world". In the first few months, I encountered people of myriad designations (including those who could fit into my definition of voluble). Unfortunately, there was one thing in common amongst the people of this species. (Nooooo.. they were not good looking.. :-( ). They all started a sentence with a "SO". Infact, every sentence that started a new process of thinking or expression began with a so. I actually found it amusing at one point in time. I mean, imagine a conversation in day to day life...
ABC: Hey.. How was the weekend?
XYZ: Soooo... I got to see this movie and it was awesome....
ABC: That's nice. And what abt the files that had to be verified by last week?
XYZ: So.. I tried doing it but blah blah blah..

Aaaaaaaaaahhhh... and you know what the worst part is?

I've caught the bug as well.... Am trying my level best to stay away and SO, if u ever hear me start a sentence with a SO, remind me of this post!

So, I'l see ya around... gotta rush..
So, good night..
So, sweet dreams..
so...so..so..so..

PS. In Hindi, it means "to sleep". :-)
Me off to sleep..

No comments: